View Single Post
Old 10-31-12, 10:39 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mkhimji
Thank you so much for all your suggestions: you have all helped me out a lot. I inflated the tube as suggested until the tube ballooned. It was then that I found the puncture! I marked it. I took out a previously punctured tube, did the same thing, and marked it also. I then compared the two marks and, lo and behold!, the marks were in the same place. I then put both punctured tubes around the wheel and tried to find the problem on the rim. I could not find it. The puncture seems to be on the side of both tubes and not at the point where the tube touches the spoke.

The problem might be that, as I mentioned, I wrapped electrical tape and nice-fitting Babolat tape around the rim instead of quality rim tape. I cannot see any problem and the rim is smooth, but, when the tube is inflated to high pressure, there might be unwanted friction that causes the puncture. I've ordered rim tape and I will try it when it arrives. I hope that this will solve the problem.

In response to the questions asked:

* I do not use CO2 but a regular pump;
* The tubes that I use are mostly Axiom (Kenda) or Continental;
* The tires are new and not tampered with.

So, the current situation is that I know THAT my tubes are punctured but I do not yet know the source. I suspect that it is the rim tape, although it does not make sense that the puncture would then appear on the side of the tube rather than the bottom where it touches the spokes. I will seek help once more if quality rim tape does not solve the problem.

Thank you all so much - I truly mean that! I'm learning a lot from you.
When inspecting the interior of the tire how do you do it? As some have suggested run a piece of cotton around the inside of the tire, or a piece of stocking/pantyhose.

Also, if you don't already do this. When mounting the tire and tube align the valve steam with the label on the tire. That way it'll be easier to locate what caused the hole.