Old 10-31-12, 07:04 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I haven't toured in India...yet. But I've been doing my own research, and also got a lot of advice from 2 women I met in southeast Asia who have toured extensively throughout India. Season aside, they both thought that either the far north or the south were best-suited for touring, so both of your options would fit that. Central India sounds way too crowded and chaotic to be enjoyable on a bike, at least for me. I've read quite a few trip narratives on crazyguyonabike.com, and found a significant difference between recent trips to southern India and ones which took place 10 or more years ago. It sounds like the level of traffic in coastal areas of Kerala, for example, has exploded in recent years, and that it's no longer so pleasant for biking near the coast. However the Ghats appear to remain relatively quiet traffic-wise, and that's where I decided I would go for a winter trip. By the way, I did tour in nearby Sri Lanka in the winter, and it was a great place to visit. I should add, though, that the cycling there varied a lot. Many roads were good, but some were awful. But it has a wonderful mix of things to see, friendly people, great food, and other tourists told me there are fewer hassles in Sri Lanka than in India (and I have also been frequently told that southern India has fewer hassles than northern India).