Old 10-31-12, 09:19 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtle Speed
Dumb question, if I have a bike whose BB is shot and I want to replace with a cartridge, how do I go about finding out which size I need to order?
Remove crankarms & measure the length of the spindle from end-to-end. It's the only way to be certain. Your Schwinn High Sierra is English thread, and I'd bet the BB spindle is 122.5 or 124mm in length.

But the 9-ball and 11-ball retainers are the same diameter, and it's just the # of balls that differs? In other words, there aren't different race sizes and retainer sizes to worry about?
Exactly.

Is there anything specific I should keep in mind if I'm using loose balls rather than a retainer? I just add a couple extra balls until it "looks pretty full"? I'm just scared to ever try it without a retainer, cuz I learned hub overhauling from reading Sheldon Brown, who wrote to be very very careful about the number of balls that go in the race. ("If there is one too many [balls], the wheel will tilt slightly one way and another after installation, and can not be trued.") I just want to make sure I can't goof up a bottom bracket somehow.

Sorry for the thread sidetrack, I just have similar questions and I didn't want to bother starting a whole new thread. Thank you all for the help, by the way.
Fill the cup, using the spindle to push the balls into place and grease to keep them there. "Enough" is the number of balls it takes to fill it, minus one. You don't want them rubbing against one another.

After you drop a bearing ball inside the frame for the fifth time in a row you'll understand why bike mechanics like retainers over loose balls.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..