View Single Post
Old 11-01-12, 06:43 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to clarify, the Fluid2 and Road Machine are fluid trainers...and if you see one of those anywhere near your budget you should snap it up because it would be quite a steal...they're both like $350 machines new. I can't remember the name of their magnetic trainers, but though neither of those are cheap trainers by any stretch of the imagination, they are available for less than the fluids, and you have a better chance of seeing one on Craigslist in your price range. Although given that workplace, the biggest downside to the wind trainer (really loud) may not matter, and those can be had really cheaply (again, stick with the good brands though, because you REALLY don't want a bad wind trainer). Oh, one more thing...if you plan on doing accelerations for like BMX start gate practice or something, don't go magnetic, because the ramp up is weird. It's seriously a million times better on the fluid. I can't remember where wind fits into that spectrum, though I think that may be better than magnetic for that purpose too. Just don't buy a POS trainer. It's no different than buying a cheap bike. Granted you won't use it nearly as much, but you'll be a thousand times more miserable on it because it won't work right...it'll take you forever to get the bike set up on it, and once you get it set up, it'll lose resistance after half a ride, or feel unnatural, or rock on the ground, or something else stupid. You don't need some $1000 amazing thing with a ton of bells and whistles, but if you buy a piece of crap, you're just going to end up replacing it with something workable.