View Single Post
Old 11-10-12, 12:03 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Please the few ounces tubeless weighs, probably most of use can make up in losing some weight ourselves and we would be healthier to boot. I don't see the weight savings of tubeless as an advantage.
Admittedly, if one wants to go this route, one can also consider the half step of buying super light tubes.

Myself I do not believe that weight in the wheels, at max diameter, is the same as weight on my butt. And to be realistic, most people's ability to control their weight is unaffected by stuff like the weight of their bike wheels. Even health issues does not force a change in behaviour for many people. I have ridden heavy wheeled bikes and I did not like it. The weight of normal rubber inner tubes is significant. However, if one uses a lot of sealant the advantage goes away, and if one does not use sealant, some of the advantages of the tubeless tires go away. I think there are some advantages to be had, but as usual, this stuff is not being developed for touring conditions, and we will have to make our own solutions.