MsMittens
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring back Elmer the Safety Elephant!

I swear. They need to bring back this guy who always reminded kids and adults that you should "Look both ways before crossing the street". I experienced my first road rash last night.

*sigh*

I had gone to a poker game at a friend's house and had even stayed away from the booze since I was riding home and wanted my senses around me. Toronto had experienced a series of major storms and the roads, while dry by the time I left, would be filled with gawking drivers looking at the damage. The wind was against me but I was enjoying the 12-1am ride back home from my friend's house. I was about 5 minutes from home, barrelling down Sherbourne near the Phoenix Nightclub, when I saw two girls emerging from the club. I was tweeting my whistle and heard the cries of "Watch out!" from the bouncers but they were oblivious to it all. I tried braking but too late (I found the skid mark today when I went back to check things out). It was hard to go from 37.5KM/hr to 0KM/hr in less than a few feet.

*BAM*

Missed one, hit the other. She didn't seem to have anything broken but held her nose (no blood from what I saw). After the bouncers had checked them out (and admonished them for being in the bike lane to begin with), they came over to see how badly hurt I was. The only bloody part was my elbow, which was the "road rash" victim. My index finger had been jammed somewhat and I saw some bruising on my left calf. Otherwise I was relatively unhurt. As was my bike (only 2 months old at this point!). I had to put the chain back on (and on later inspection noticed that the left side of the handlebar tape had been sliced) but otherwise, the bike was fine and even the paint survived with one itty bitty scratch.

I suppose I should have been breaking sooner but geez. Brightly lit street, bike with 15W HID light, tweeting whistle and bouncers trying to warn you while you're jaywalking. Sorry but, IMHO, y'er at fault. If I had been a car, they'd be 50 feet further down the street and the coroner would be visiting.

I dunno. Is it that hard to look both ways first?