Old 11-11-12, 08:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
Trainer Stands (or at least the popular ones) use the end caps of the QR skewer to Hold the bike by. So the skewer needs to have a dome like shape for the trainer's azle clamps to secure.

Many current skewers have the cam open to the air and the cam rotates against a plastic surface. This plastic "bearing" surface has some compressionability. As the cam is exposed to the world the friction that the cam/lever sees has to be low and agreeable with grit and contamimant. So the plastic, to a degree, limits the clamping pressure. Additionally the parts of the skewer that press against the drop out are made of Aluminum, often. This doesn't give much bite into a drop out. Lastly many people don't have the hand strength or skin toughness to tighten skewers (of poor design) to a high level of clamping.

Combine all together and we have an industry that has favored poor designs in an area of critical importance. How much would you pay to insure that your wheels didn't come off when hitting that pot hole when your in a down hill tuck? By the choice of the masses not very much. In fact if a bike has time tested and proven skewer design it's considered a cheap bike and not worth much.

The classic inclosed/dome ended/steel capped skewers hold much tighter, are far less prone to loosening up and REALLY only add a few grams of weight, but add a lot of security. I do not use any of the poor/open designs on any of my bikes. Andy.

Oh did I say that steel lasts a long time and almost never breaks?