View Single Post
Old 11-12-12, 06:20 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Thanks everyone. A couple of comments. "Pulling them in", Puch? I'm not sure I follow you. I guess I'll need to post a pic of those fittings mounted on the threaded bar. My basement is full of valuable scraps too. I figured, why not use some of them. That crown race installer will probably fit under the anvil of my hydraulic press with the fork straddling a chunk of wood. I can just press it down as opposed to whack it. The thought may occur to some....if you have a hydraulic press, why not just use that? Occurred to me too but the fixtures that would have been needed for that to work would be many times more involved than these.

"naval bronze=brass" Actually, bronze, not brass, which is a different alloy. Bronze is slightly easier machining due to its tin content. Brass is copper and zinc. This piece was 1 3/4 diameter with a one inch bore through it. I've got odd chunks of stuff like that around. I got most of it when I was into making high end custom hardwood and metal lamps. I also have pieces of nickel silver around, another copper alloy. The head of that crown race installer is brass, however.

In short, if I hadn't had that piece of bronze pipe and that section of aluminum around, I never would have started this project. The bore in the bronze pipe fit the 15/16 threaded rod with a nice slide fit. As anyone knows who has thought about it...which I was forced to do... the critical aspect of pressing in any race or bearing is keeping the tool in exact alignment with the axis of the head tube. There is a bit of play between the threaded rod and the head tube so I'll need a "locating fixture" on the back end of the rod as I pull in the opposite cup. To keep the rod centered in the head tube. As I said, I machined these fittings so that their drive surfaces register very precisely against the flats on the cups, with no side to side play. They sit just outside of and register against the races, but not on them. I'll machine the piece of Teflon or maybe Delrin today and post a pic of the whole tool when I get it done. The big, galvanized threaded rod is a bit crude but I had it so figured I'd try to use it.

Thanks all.