View Single Post
Old 08-20-05, 04:24 PM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by myates1980
Well, I'll be d**ned! That is the worst law I have ever heard of! It actually encourages vehicle operators to make unsafe choices in regards to other people's safety. I don't mean to say that pedestrians shouldn't obey the pedestrian laws, but that seems a bit harsh to leave them in the cold with avoidable accidents being encouraged by the law stating that the vehicle is allowed to proceed even when a pedestrian is failing to yield!
While jaywalking occurs regularly and part-time, seasonal or simply irresponsible cyclists sometimes make for dangerous situations, the law makes sense to me and seems to work, for the most part. Not to seem in defence of motorists (lord knows they often create perilous situations for cyclists), it seems ridiculous to me that a motorist proceeding in their lane in the right-of-way would be guilty of an offence if some moron stepped off the sidewalk right in front of them. It's impossible to stop a car, even at a moderate, safe speed, that quickly.

And, MsMittens, I'm glad you're relatively okay. I know the area you were in pretty well (I work close to there) and know that cycling near any club can be hazardous with unpredictable clubbers. Why didn't you consider calling the police? Technically, it is a traffic accident with injuries (though minor) and if you discovered any damage to your bike later, the young women would have been liable. You also had witnesses. The only reason I suggest it is that I had a similar incident a few years back (a truck exiting a laneway failed to yield at the sidewalk and struck my eight year-old son). After ensuring there were no damages at the time and giving the very apologetic driver a sound tongue-lashing, I realized both my sons bike and mine (from falling hard as I dove to catch him) had sustained minor damage and his helmet needed replacing. I didn't discover the damage until after we had recovered from shaking and the driver was long gone by then. I wish I had contacted the cops at the time and reported the incident. In spite of the driver acknowledging his fault, he also should have been made to pay for the damages. Hopefully, you'll heal up quickly and there's nothing seriously wrong with your bike.