Old 08-20-05, 04:43 PM
MsMittens
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why didn't you consider calling the police?
Much like you're description of your incident, I was rather shaken by it. In all the time I've been cycling, it's a first for me.

And the bike is fine. Did 86KM today. The bruising is coming in at a nice purple colour now on the hips and calves. And the stiff neck gives me an excuse to get the SO to give me a neck massage.

As for the issue of Pedestrian Right-of-Way. I'm becoming more convinced that this is a myth. Reason? Jaywalking in most juristications is considered against the law. If it wasn't then the pedestrian has right of way, regardless of being within the cross walk or not. (I wonder if this is the case in New Brunswick which has the oddest drivers I find --- they'll stop even if you look across the street, never mind actually crossing). If jaywalking is a crime (by-law or otherwise), then the pedestrian does not have right of way.

I did try to stop and I should have attempted to slow down earlier (although I was below the 40KM/Hr speed limit that's for that major street). But it's my belief that pedestrians should take responsibility for their actions on the road as much as cyclists, cars and trucks. They are part of the whole flow of things.