Old 11-13-12, 07:03 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Following some suggestions here, I did take a brief trip to the LBS and looked at a Roubaix. Sport I believe? Not enough time or good enough weather to test ride. Hopefully that will come later this week. I did check the specs and looks like wheelbase is closer to my LHT than the Trek 1.2. That should be an improvement, I would think. While we are talking fit and geometry, here is a further question. Since one poster brought it up, what about a custom built bike? If $$$ is no object, would a custom build be that much better than selecting the best (comfort, performance) bike available? (or should I start a new thread?)
IMHO - you want a comfortable, fast, responsive bike to primarily ride on the road - not really the LHT geometry or build. A road bike, but not the racing geometry ? Consider a Soma ES or Surly Pacer ? Someone mentioned a CrossCheck. Like you, i was looking for the same ride, tried most of the models listed and plenty more - the fit was't just right for me. Echoing another's comment - no matter what you get - get the fit. You ask about custom - that was my route - I went with a Gunnar Roadie with their made to measure geometry. My bike can be best described as a steel frame road racing bike, with touring geometry, set up like a cyclocross bike with a mix of mountain and road bike components. LBS was very patient during the fitting(s), I picked most of parts, wheelset, etc - in the end I got a perfect (for me) ride and fit. The completed bike weights about a pound more than my older AL road bike. My components were primarily mid level - total cost - right in the area of ultegra level carbon relaxed geometry racing bikes. Cannot figure out why I didn't do this sooner.