View Single Post
Old 11-15-12, 09:23 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think it's simple, if you want it then GET IT. Disc brakes on bike are pretty much just starting out and the NEED for disc brakes on a bike is not as marked as it is in a car, you are stopping a multi 100 pound vehicle as opposed to a multi TON vehicle, so the advantage is not THAT large. This all goes out the window if you're headed into a dicey situation and need to stop NOW and disc brakes MAY offer a bit of an advantage. That being said disc brakes appear to be superior and offer more control than rim brakes on a bike. On road bikes you would also have to consider that it's going to largely be the TIRE that is the weak spot in stopping rather than the brakes themselves, the limited contact patch of a skinny tire just can't exert enough friction to stop as well as a fat tire can. As far as being in it's infancy, I suppose so but if you get them and they work and you can get the parts when it comes to fixing them what difference does it make?

I would be more concerned about the fit of the bike and whether you just LIKE the thing enough to pull the trigger and buy it.