Old 11-15-12, 03:38 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lineinthewater
I've been trying to get up-to-speed on the BB30 bottom bracket. Are most CAAD10 owners running BB30 cranks? Or do you think most are adapting to 24mm standard cranksets (i.e. Shimano)? I'm not trying to spawn 6 pages on BB30 debate, but as someone who is "upgrading" from an older CAAD, and doesn't keep up on such things, this issue came out of left-field. I must say discussions of loctite, special tools, creaking, etc is making me stress about running a Shimano crank.
The reports of problems with creaking from the BB area are for the original BB30 standard where the BB30 bearings are pressed directly into the BB shell. Not sure how the set up in CAAD10 is, but some manufacturers are switching to a PF30 (PressFit30) system where the bearings are housed in a thicker plastic/delrin shell that when pressed into the BB shell mates better with less likelihood to creak.

To run Shimano cranks in BB30 frames like the CAAD10 requires an adapter since Shimano doesn't support BB30 (they stuck with a 24mm diameter spindle instead of the 30mm spindle of BB30 cranks). You could use the Praxis Works conversion BB which screws together and expands unlike some of the press in adapters: http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion

One of my bikes is SRAM Red GXP cranks in the SRAM BB30 to GXP adapter, and that is one that is Loctite/glued into the BB shell, which is basically permanent.