genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
I disagree with your claim that most American motorists are incompetent; they manage to use the road system in the way for which it was designed (except, of course, for a few places such as Boston). Because the American road system is easily used by drivers who obey the rules of the road for drivers of vehicles demonstrates that this is so regardless of whether the drivers are motorists or cyclists. I agree with you that most American cyclists are traffic-incompetent; the measurements of their behavior show that. That is their problem, one that they have chosen to make, considering that many of them also have motoring licenses.

I have never tried to convince you, or anyone, that cycling in the "VC manner [on American roads] is actually safer than cycling in the Dutch manner on Dutch-style separated facilities." Instead, I have consistently written that attempting to import Dutch designs into the American road system is highly unlikely to produce the supposed results of the Dutch designs, which are high bicycle modal share with few car-bike collisions.

The separated facilities, cycle tracks are the current name for such facilities, that have been installed in a few places in some American cities do not meet the Dutch design standards and it is unlikely that they can be operated in the Dutch manner.

The fact that such defective imitations of Dutch practice so strongly appeal to the general public simply demonstrates the unwillingness of the general public to adopt the safe and useful cycling practice of obeying the rules of the road for drivers of vehicles. The fact that you approve of the incompetent cycling manner of the general cycling public demonstrates that you are much less concerned with the safety and welfare of cyclists than you are with some other political objective. The objective that most obviously comes to mind is persuading people to switch trips from motor to bicycle transport.
Wow, quite a few admissions in the above commentary... I especially like the part about the lack of safety in the VC system verses the Dutch system: "I have never tried to convince you, or anyone, that cycling in the "VC manner [on American roads] is actually safer than cycling in the Dutch manner on Dutch-style separated facilities.""

And of course, this little tidbit always makes me wonder about John's motives: "The objective that most obviously comes to mind is persuading people to switch trips from motor to bicycle transport."

I'd really like to know what is wrong with persuading people to switch trips from motor to bicycle transport? The motor vehicle is used to such excess in America that the lack of exercise for the general population has come to near epidemic proportions. (and I use the word "proportions" somewhat ironically).

John has long accused me of being anti-motoring... well I really what to know what is wrong with being anti-motoring. I am also anti-noise, anti-air pollution, anti-dependent on foreign oil, and I'm not terribly fond of war nor the pumping of strange chemicals into the ground to force out the very last drop of hydrocarbons. So yes, I am anti-motoring. But having observed motoring in excess in the US verses motoring and cycling and the general shape of people in other lands... I don't believe motoring is all that much a blessing to the US. It has it's place, no doubt, but not to the extend that the typical American takes it.

So what is wrong with wanting to save oil, reduce noise, reduce pollution and generally push Americans toward a transportation system that may actually do them some good?