Old 11-23-12, 04:54 AM
Crazylegsmurphy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living with a folding bike

Hey All,

I have another thread going with some general questions ( http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nd-questions-) ), but I thought this one deserved it's own.

As a new owner of a folding bike, and as someone who is about to spend five months braving the streets of Melbourne and Berlin, I am a little nervous about how to use my new folder. From theft, to riding, shopping, to fitness, I am curious how all of you deal with the day-to-day of using your folders in daily life. The following questions are a few things I have been wondering about. Any insight and advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

And with that...to the questions.

1. Theft

From what I can imagine, folding bikes are probably a target for thieves. Not only do they probably have a high resale value, but you can walk off with them pretty easy. When I visited Berlin before, I noticed that many people just throw a U-Lock between the frame and the tire, kick down the stand, and leave it sitting there. I suppose the idea is that since no one can just ride off, they're less of a target than the next bike. As I researched folding bikes, I noticed that many people prefer to fold up their bike, and take it with them.

So my questions are:

- What are your preferred methods of theft prevention?
- If you fold your bike and take it with you, do you ever run into issues with businesses and public places?
- If locking the bike is the only option, what do you do about keeping parts on the bike such as the seat?
- What general advice do you have for keeping the bike safe?
- What lock(s) do you recommend for folders?

2. Living with a bike

As we all know, millions of people use their bikes as their primary mode of transportation. In Berlin, I noticed a lot of people who use their bikes to do every chore imaginable. When I go to Berlin, I would like to have the option to use my bike as my way of getting around, and getting things done. My concern however, is what it's actually like to use a folding bike in these situations, and if it differs at all from non-folders.

- When shopping (assuming that bikes are allowed in the store), do you have any methods of using the bike as a basket?
- Do you prefer to use a basket on your bike, or do you use a backpack and avoid the extra bulk / limitations to folding?
- For those of you who own a Tern bike, how do you deal with the front basket position when wheeling the bike, does it work?

3. Fitness

I currently live in a small Canadian town where I can get on my recumbent and ride for hours without seeing another person. When I visited Berlin, it was like putting everyone in the town on my front lawn. My primary reason for getting a bike (besides the enjoyment) is for fitness. Owning my own business means long hours of sitting, and unless I make some serious lifestyle changes, I'm going to have to install the wheels from my bike on my chair at home. So I have some questions regarding using a folder for fitness in a city (these are kind of general to all bikes).

- How do you guys deal with the population density?
- Do you find that you are able to get a decent workout?
- Are there any dangers to listening to music/podcasts while out riding? (obviously there is in high traffic, but are there laws or anything against it in say parks or separate bike ways?)
- Any advice to streamlining a workout in a populated urban environment?

4. Misc

I think that's most of the questions I have. These last few are just some miscellaneous ones I've been wondering about.

- Before I leave for my trip, are there any accessories that I should get? (I have spare tires, and will be picking up a toolkit this week)
- Are there any specific dangers to riding folding bikes? (my recumbent requires special attention when moving at slow speeds in town as it starts to become unstable)

I want to thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and answer these questions. I know many of them may seem a bit newbish and strange, but I just really want to make sure I'm as prepared and safe as possible. It's strange enough to be in a new country and not know the customs or laws, so the more I can do to prepare the better.

Thanks!

CLM