View Single Post
Old 11-24-12, 02:00 PM
dedbeats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Affordable, High Quality Upgrades

Finally got myself a bike, 2013 Jamis Beatnik which I know the crowd here doesn't recommend but it's highly recommended for my price range by most LBS and the deal I got it for was too good to pass up. Now time to ask some questions and maybe make a few upgrades to inexpensive but good quality parts:

Saddle: The stock saddle is a pain in the balls, for distance and on bumpy roads. Any recommendation for lightweight, sturdy, comfortable saddles?

Grips: Looking for new grips for my flat bars, that will add a pop of color and feel good to hold. Oury?

Pedals: It came with cage pedals that I have some trouble getting my feet in as I take off. I ended up riding with them flipped, to use the flat area. I wanted to switch to a flat pedal, but there is some overlap which the cage might help avoid. Is a flat pedal a bad idea if there's some overlap? Are there cage pedals with a wide mouth that will make it easier to slip in to?

Looking for lightweight, inexpensive, but good quality replacements. Help and suggestions are appreciated!

Here's a shot of my ride:

Edit: Running Freewheel.

Need a head and tail light, more for riding at night and staying alive than for my own visibility. Also a helmet with a low profile. I have a Spec Align and it looks like a midget sitting on my head. Sure it's cheap and functional, but I don't mind paying a little more for something with a lower profile.

Last edited by dedbeats; 11-24-12 at 04:20 PM.