View Single Post
Old 08-22-05, 06:23 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's with the minivans!

You all seem to have issues with men in SUVs, but every time I have trouble its a woman in a minivan. Again today I had the same issue....

I was approaching stop sign to make a left turn so I signaled and took the lane when there was a break in traffic. A minivan driver then approached, crossed the double yellow line, honked at me, then merged back into the lane where I was currently cycling. I saw this coming so I slowed down to avoid getting hit.

Am I doing something wrong? This is the third time this has happened to me in the same spot. Each time its a minivan. Perhaps its even the same one? I guess I never paid attention to the color etc. Anyway, is there something else I should be doing? I think I've got all the basics down....signal, take the lane with a break in traffic or a yielding motorist, stay in the traffic line, turn left when its my turn. I'm usually only about 100 yards or less from a stopped vehicle when I take the lane, and I am riding at about 15 mph on a 35 mph road.

Suggestions? (for my riding technique, not for retribution)