View Single Post
Old 11-27-12, 05:06 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boys, I don't agree with your two dimensional rationale in regards to how the pedals are weighted vs instantaneous center of mass.

If you consider the discussion solely on CG based on a side view of the vehicle, then I agree, from a side view there is minimal change in CG in terms of how the pedals are weighted.

However if you consider the CG placement relative to the tire contact patch, both front and rear, during a corner, the CG has moved laterally. Depending upon how much body movement the rider has provided, the change could be minor or major. This lateral shift, along with outside pedal weighting, will move weight placement over the tire contact points providing more optimum grip.

In addition, as was mentioned regarding the effort to lean or un-lean the vehicle, or the effect of the "pendulum" feel, a bike ridden through a corner, leaned over has positioned the CG lower and closer to the ground. If this low CG could be kept 100% of the time, the bike overall would be more easily "flopped" from side to side when needed.

Possibly the discussion should be broken into static CG and Dynamic CG.

Sorry for the use of both center of mass and CG. For myself, to keep things less confusing I try to use CG in regards for static positioning and center of mass for dynamic positioning (dynamic CG? or instantaneous center of mass?).

PK