View Single Post
Old 11-27-12, 11:30 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
BB height: I briefly stoked for a Cat 1 on a pretty new Cdale. We were testing to see if we would have a chance in a 100 y/o class. Anyway, we pedaled through some turns on the flat and had the tail hang out a couple of times when my pedal hit the ground. We were going pretty good. IIRC it was only my pedal that grounded, maybe the stoker's BB being lower, incorrectly assuming that the stoker cranks would be shorter? In any case, we weren't that close to the adhesion limit and were glad our BBs were no lower.
BB heights always(?) being different between capt and stoker, the front BB on every road tandem I've owned has been far higher than any of my singles (Pinarello, Trek, Ellis, and a whole slew of customs). Even so, I've used 175mm cranks on the Trek without any clearance issues for general riding but swap to 172.5mm for all racing except TTs. Not claiming the same would hold true for the stoker compartment, but since my stoker is using 170mm cranks it is never a problem there.

Last edited by twocicle; 11-27-12 at 11:37 AM.