Old 11-27-12, 12:10 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Well, I must be really old, then. I did a group ride last Friday and was the only one (of 20+ or so) with friction downtube shifters, 2 x 6. I like the feel of downtube shifting, especially when you have to be quick and precise. The drivetrain is SunTour Cyclone 1st gen with Powershifter ratchets. I must confess that I modernized with a later-1980s Shimano 600 EX freewheel. The combination is smooth as silk.

Let's see...my tourer is mid-to-late 1980s 3 x 7 SunTour X-1 wide range friction... with barcons.

My daily rider is mid-to-late 70s 2 x 6 SunTour Vx friction...also with barcons.

I'm happy with them all.
I can't see how dt shifters would ever be quicker, or more precise than brifters. The fact that one has to remove a hand from the bar to shift is in itself less secure and time consuming, even if you could find the lever without looking down. There is a reason why dt shifters went the way of the dinosaur. They are a bit lighter though you need an older heavier frame to use them. I don't see any upside to them unless maybe on a world tour when reliability is paramount.