Old 11-27-12, 05:21 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith

The hand behind the back for stop is well known to cyclists but meaningless to non-cycling drivers.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Never heard of it, or ever seen it used by a cyclist, but then I don't ride with "educated" cyclists.
Both of the clubs I ride with use it and I have seen it on several organized group rides and charity centuries. I don't know how wide spread its use is but it seems common in MN and ND. Usually the left fist is clenched in the small of the back but I have seen a variation with the hand open, palm out. I'll use it on club rides or organized cycling events to signal following riders but use the more traditional downward wave in traffic when riding solo. It really has very little to do with being "educated" but rather using the most recognized and accepted signalling method for the circumstances, which is why I mentioned this gesture as being ineffective in mixed traffic. Non-"roadies" are unlikely to be familiar with it. Perhaps I could have used roadies instead of cyclists in my original statement but I'm not overly fond of the label as it is often used negatively to denote snobby, hyper-competitive, elitists which does not at all describe the cyclists that I ride with.

Last edited by Myosmith; 11-27-12 at 05:47 PM.