View Single Post
Old 11-29-12, 03:04 AM
birdmove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Love this thread. Great to see all the pics of the Pacific NW. I lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area from 11/1/1953 till 9/6/2011 when I retired and moved to the Big Island of Hawaii near Keaau. I have ridden many of the places in this thread--but not on a bicycle. I have ridden motorcycles since I was eight. But since moving to Hawaii I was given a low end mountain bike and recently took up bicycle riding again at 59. I have worked out in gyms since I was 49 so transitioning back into biking wasn't too tramatic. I find myself finding any excuse to ride my mountain bike now. 12 mile trip to pick up the mail from our Post Office box in Keaau. 16 mile trip to Pahoa on Saturdays for our Big Island Chess Club, where we also have tournaments (played tournaments in Seattle/Tacoma and Las Vegas previously). Or just a local 12 miler around the developement we live in (which is huge). I'm working up to a round trip to Hilo, which will be 25+ miles depending on how much running around I do in Hilo.

In the Pacific NW one of my favorite motorcycle rides was the Oregon coast. As a kid I got down to Oregon a lot as both my parents were born there and we had lots of family in the Eugene area and Klamath Falls. The last six years before the move we lived in Puyallup, and there were many great places for motorcycling and bicycling.