View Single Post
Old 11-29-12, 10:27 AM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
And what happens if you run out of fuel during cooking? I can change canisters on the fly if I run out but how do you add more fuel to a hot stove when you have to pour it in? I work with flammable materials all the time so I have a overdeveloped safety nanny sense but I'm not about to try to pour fuel into a stove that is even warm and try to reignite it.
I simply carry a second little cat stove with me and as my flame slowly diminishes, (it does give you a hint that in the next minute it will go out) I fill and light a second stove and just transfer the food to the other stove sitting next to it with no lost time in between flames. Repeat as necessary. Now I'll admit I don't cook the most exotic of meals and one stove ignition is enough for most of my meals, two at most. Those aluminum cat food cans cool amazingly fast within just a few seconds so a second stove is not a necessity but I often find myself giving one away to a fellow rider or hiker so it's nice to carry.

Also a small alcohol fire like that is easy to snuff out in just a second, so those who weren't Smokey's friends must not have been very bright.

Last edited by robow; 11-29-12 at 10:54 AM.