View Single Post
Old 11-30-12, 07:01 PM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
In an earlier post I'd mentioned that I had tried the multi-layer wool route and found it to not work for me, and the whole different strokes for different folks thing. I like wool. I really do. I wear merino under and mid layers, but thin. I simply prefer a thin shell rather than thicker wool on top.
When I did try it, each layer twisted and bunched (despite my efforts to mitigate it) on the others, creating a really uncomfortable sensation. On top of this, the layers bound in the crook of my arm (elbow area) and armpits. It drove me nuts. I also found that the relative lack of wind blocking did not work for me (mainly in the colder temps). I still produced plenty of sweat, and though it did evaporate I still needed to shower at work, so pretty much the same situation for me.
That was my experience with it, and it sounds like you have had a different experience. Cool. Ride on.
It's funny you chimed in. This morning I wore 4 layers. I tried every possible movement and twisting I could think of with hands and bars and riding no hands. No binding whatsoever. Zero. So while I take you at your word, I wonder what it is you're doing differently that results in that problem.