Old 12-01-12, 04:17 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
To my mind it doesn't correct the root of the problem, only the symptoms. Changing your fit or your saddle to change the pressure points will address the root cause. If you did go down the injection route, I would do it only if I had addressed the root issue and was just looking for relief while you wait for the bursa to heal.
We have a winner. Excessive sit bone pain is generally due to improper fit on the bike.
You can perform an experiment easily. Ride bolt upright and put your finger under your sit bone during the pedal stroke. You will be astounded by the contact to the seat through your finger. Now go into the drops and do the same thing. Rotating your pelvis forward will dramatically reduce pressure on your sit bones.
Go have a look at some Cobb videos on bike fit on youtube. You likely need a more aggressive bar position...either more forward, lower or both and work on your posture. A bar more forward will generally promote a straigher back and rotating your pelvis more forward. Many that ride hunch backed with too much weight on their sit bones...Brooks lovers...sorry....is due to the handlebar being too close to the rider. Btw, I am not a proponent of a lot of drop for a non racer. Nomially a good road bike cyclist will want to have a back angle of almost 45 degrees to vertical with arms comfortably draped on the hoods with well rotated pelvis...incidentally promoted by proper saddle setback to center rider weight. Also a saddle tipped too far down in front will pressurize sit bones more....rear of the saddle should be level and nose in the air.
Good luck.

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-01-12 at 04:22 PM.