Thread: Upgrade Casette
View Single Post
Old 12-01-12, 08:46 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrade Casette

I just checked and I'm about due to replace my chain (it just fails the 0.75% test if I push a little). And, while I'm at it, I was considering upgrading the cassette as well.

The bike has 9 speed Deore shifters and SLX derailers -- but the cassette is a low end SRAM.

So, I am thinking of upgrading the cassette to SLX (CS-HG80) as part of my long term goal to get the bike up to all Deore / SLX components.

The whole bike only has a thousand miles on it and the shifting is pretty good (by my standards) and the only problem is that the rear cassette will jump to another gear every once in while (about once every 100 miles or so) for no discernible reason. But the way I ride that is more of an annoyance than a problem.

So, am I just being silly and fussy to upgrade, or would I actually see an improvement (either lower weight or better shifting) with the SLX (or sometimes it's listed at XT) cassette?

I figure there's a reason that Shimano charges more for these -- but I can't figure out what the difference is between the higher end and lower end cassettes -- they're all hyper-glide.