View Single Post
Old 12-03-12, 11:21 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deaver
Chef, I took another look at your build list and thought I would give you some of my thoughts as unsolicited, but I hope constructive advice

12 Rim Strip 2 Velox Cloth

I might suggest a different approach using either a Plastic Rim Strip such as those made by Continental (Easy Tape) or Ritchey.

Click HERE and HERE

Another option is Velocity Rim Plugs. Click HERE

I have found that Velox Cloth is not really reusable should a mid-trip spoke repair be needed and it also tends to dry out over time and become brittle. The options I suggest do not suffer those shortcomings.

15 Bottom Bracket 1 Shimano un-54 113

I would suggest using a Shimano UN-55 in place of the UN-54. The 55 is available in the same size but offers an Aluminum Retainer on the non-Drive side verses a Plastic one that comes with the 54. The 55 would be a tad stronger on both sides of the bottom bracket and easier to service by reducing the possibility of stripping the retainer when trying to extract it without a huge weight penalty

UN-55 Bottom Bracket

UN-54 Retainer/Cup

23 Calipers 2 Avid BB7 Road Mech

You might want to consider using the Mountain (MTB) version of Avid’s BB7s. I am told that they offer better seals and slightly beefier mounts than the road version. I do not have first hand experience with the road versions though.

Hope This Helps
Great suggestions. Thank you! I have a meeting with them on Wednesday.