genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
It is very clear, Hagen, that you are criticizing vehicular cycling without having read the book that describes it. All you seem to know are the misleading falsehoods published by Bek. You should restrict your criticism to what you know.
John, can I critisize the book... I've read it, I practice vehicular cycling.

While I find the basic premise of the book somewhat true for cyclists traveling in low speed traffic, I do find many many details of the book rather dated, full of "superstition" and personal conjecture.

I think Bek is guilty of beating a dead horse, and you are guilty of fostering superstition and half truths while resting on your laurals.

Franklin delivers about the same message is vastly fewer pages. I find Hurst's book also more informative, without the self congradulatory blather found in your book.

Sir, may I suggest that it is either time to step down from your metaphorical lofty throne, or write a new book with updated research; including actually visiting and using cycling infrastructure in places like Davis, Portland, NYC, Holland, Copenhagen, Finland, and of course London. You may be surprised with what what is available and works, vice what you imagine from your armchair.