Thread: stoves
View Single Post
Old 12-04-12, 07:20 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
I'm looking for an alchol stove for camp mug water boiling, the 2 cup size. seen lots of designs, built and used many of them, but still after the perfect combo. For me, that would be a stove that has a center flame (as opposed to side jets) that does not need a pot stand and is stable on uneven ground. I user a super cat stove for my wide bottom tea kettle, which works great, but for a small diameter cup, the flame pattern is lost around the sides. This would be for backpacking where volume in the pack is at a premium. Anyone?
The Evernew TI stove with the 2 cup Evernew TI mug. It needs to be on flat ground and is a side burner, but the jet pattern is well matched to the base of the mug. The boil is gentle so the mug handles stay cool. I actually seldom bother bring water to a rolling boil as I end up waiting for my tea or soup to cool down. If I am cooking something like couscous I'll bring the water to around 180 F (lots of bubbles and a bit of a shimmer in the water), add my couscous and set it aside for 10 mins and use a T-shirt as a cozy. Experience has shown me that 0.25oz of ethanol is sufficent to get 2cups of water nicely hot (not boiling), 0.5oz will boil water in between 5 to 7 mins

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
evernew.JPG (66.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by nun; 12-04-12 at 12:56 PM.