Old 12-04-12, 09:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I have a CycleOps Fluid 2 and my wife has the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. We also have a Performance Travel Trac Elite Fluid Trainer.

Here are my thoughts:

From a quality perspective, both CycleOps and KK are pretty awesome. They are both solid pieces of equipment, and they seem pretty comparable in terms of how loud they are.

Where I think the KK outshines the Cycleops is the engagement systems. CycleOps uses levers to lock in the bike and to lock the resistance unit to the rear wheel. It works fine. KK, however, uses a screwing system. It takes a little longer to set up and is a bit of a PIA by comparison, but I feel like it does a better job of locking the bike in, and it gives you more flexibility in fine tuning the amount of pressure you apply to the rear tire/adjusting the resistance - the fluid system does that but also how much pressure applied to the rear tire affects that as well.

If I had to buy another trainer tomorrow, I'd lean toward the KK, but I'd probably get whichever of the two was cheaper.
We've also got both, and I also would say go with whichever was cheaper.

Agreed on the engagement mechanism, but I tend to prefer the Cycleops because it is less of a PITA.

The KK has a thoretical advantage on the fluid system not leaking. however, since they improved the seals on the Cycleops a number of years ago it's a non issue.

The Cycleops does give a little bit higher resistance for the same speed (at least comparing our 2 units) This is only an issue for me doing Muscle Tension intervals. ( high torque, low rpm intervals) With the KK, the workload isn't high enough in 53/11 at 55rpm for that interval, where the Cycleops is just enough harder that I can stay at or below 55rpm, and keep the prescribed wattage. However, it's only an issue for this particular drill. At 80 rpm or above, there is alll the resistance anyone could need on either trainer.

So again, pick the one you can get cheaper.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.