Old 12-04-12, 01:30 PM
pstake 

Bikes: Which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Another "Which fork" thread

My plans to build my girlfriend a quality MTB for Christmas are growing ever more expensive.

I'm down to needing a new fork. I had planned to scrape by using the MZ Comp from my Kona but of course the steerer is a skosh too short for safety.

This will be her first mountain bike. She's very comfortable on her touring rig but the idea of riding singletrack is foreign and therefore scary to her.

I come from a bmx / mtb background so of course I want her to know the joys of offroading.

I'm also a vintage fetishist so older/steel/quality stuff appeals to me.

But for her, I want user friendly and comfortable, and as lightweight as is feasible.

The frame is a new Sette Reken, size 14"

The forks I've narrowed it down to are:

A vintage Sid Hydra XC 80mm with new seals and oil

or

A 2011 RS Recon Silver TK coil 100mm

I can get either for about $150.

If it were for my bike, I'd go the SID route. I like the lightweight and don't mind the shorter travel. The hunt for repair / upgrade / replacement parts (if and when needed) would be okay for me.

For her, I'm not sure. I want it to be reliable and dependable but to do its job of soaking up the bumps. I'm not too worried about drops. By the time she's comfortable enough to take two or three foot drops, I'll be able to afford a better fork.

Most of the parts are coming off my 2005 Cinder Cone.

So, Hayes hydraulic discs ... 9 speed deore drivetrain. Sun Black Eye disc rims on Shimano Tiagra-level hubs.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil