View Single Post
Old 12-04-12, 04:42 PM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would help to know the exact features/materials on both of the forks. If the Recon has the steel stanchions and steel steerer, there may be a significant weight difference. Also, you'll have to consider her weight because you may need to swap to a lighter spring.

From some quick searching, it doesn't look like the SID hydra XC(2000 - 2001) had a compression adjustment. If it had that feature, that would definitely be a plus in the SID column. If you do consider the SID, ask what seals were replaced. If that just means the oil seals/wipers, then you may need to consider having to replace the air spring seals at some point.

For me, it would come down to the weight difference. Assuming she is lighter/smaller, she would definitely benefit from a front end that could be 2lbs lighter. Again, assuming that she is light and since she is just getting into it, she's not going to complain about the Sid being a noodle. Heck, I rode a '05 SID world cup(carbon steer/crown, 2.75lbs) for a couple years and that wasn't too bad. That fork still brought $400 less than a year ago, so there's still plenty of people out there that like them.

The SID went to 32mm stanchions in 2009.

EDIT: I wouldn't pay $150 for a 12-13 year old fork though. Maybe $100 tops.