Old 12-06-12, 11:12 PM
pstake 

Bikes: Which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Famous last words. Hahahahahahahahahaha!

FTFY

But seriously, I'd go with the Recon. Vintage only says 'old' to a neophyte and you want her to know you care enough to put decent, modern hardware under her. Besides, SIDs were suspect noodles anyway; better to save that idea for your own cudged-together project.

For wheels, you owe yourself at least at this setup:
http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/prod...m_medium=email
Well, I hope you're happy with yourself. I bought a set of those wheels!

How hard is it to swap rotors over? They are regular hex rather than star hex, fortunately.

The hubs from my Kona are Shimano M475. I went to overhaul them (which had apparently never been done before) and the rear disc side dust cover was mangled, and and split apart. I couldn't get a friction-less spin without the cones very loose. So, she'll have new wheels along with the fork.

The real upset is the crankset. The bolt on the drive side (from the canibalized Kona) is seized. I wrestled with it too long almost totally stripped the allen head. Today I went after it with a screw extractor, which promptly broke off in the bolt. So may end up having to find a crankset too ... or borrow from another bike. I'm taking it to the LBS tomorrow to see if they have a magic recipe.

Anyway ... thanks for the insight about the wheelset ... i'll post pictures of them attached to the final product.

Cheers,
Phil