View Single Post
Old 12-07-12, 02:32 AM
k_randomfactor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Run What Ya Brung, or...

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and probably rolled eyes), I stepped back and reconsidered where I'm looking to go with bikes. Noob excitement and new shiny things. This time I have questions that are, I hope, a little more directed. I searched, but my search-fu is weak, so if there is a discussion I missed, please point me in the right direction.

At the end of my last thread debacle, it dawned on me that I have a perfectly serviceable bike on hand. However, subsequent searching has shown that many (most) folks don't consider it to be an ideal bike for touring. I understand that most any bike can be used for touring, and that butt in the saddle and miles under the tires are the most important criteria.

The bike is an 8yo Haro V4 hard-tail, aluminum-frame, "XC" MTB, with the obligatory 100mm suspension fork with no lock out. It was a higher end "entry level" bike, with Deore/LX level components and Tektro mechanical disc brakes. From what I've found through my reading, it was and is a fairly well regarded bike, performing well for an inexpensive ride. Nothing to write home about, but a fairly heavy-duty serviceable bike.

After reassessing, I'm perfectly OK with using this bike for touring, up to and including a planned cross country trip. Obviously, I'll need a rear rack, and am looking at a Burly trailer to haul along. It does lack the option of mounting fenders, which would probably be nice, and the front fork makes adding a front rack/panniers somewhat of a pain, as there seems to be some question as to their usefulness and feasibility on a sus fork. Hence the plan for the trailer. Plus, a trailer will let me haul Muttley along on short trips until I can train him to run alongside my bike for 100 miles/day for weeks and months on end (kidding, he'll be staying with family on long trips). Being a 75lb husky mix doesn't lend him to riding in a backpack.

I'm looking for thoughts and feasibility on these courses of action...

1- Run what you brung. Using this bike as is, or with a few upgrades, with rear rack/panniers and a trailer. The most cost effective scenario, as I should be able to do it for less than half the cost of a new assembled bike. I like this bike, but since my riding interests have changed, I don't want to sink a lot of money in to it. I almost want to use this option, just to say I did.

2- Buy a frameset/fork and cannibalize the parts from the MTB. The components aren't great, but I think they're serviceable. This option would allow me to get a frame better suited for my riding interests, and I could go with racks/panniers front and rear and forget about the trailer. Would allow upgrading later as time/money allow. This option is more expensive than option #1, but may be able to be done (parts swap, racks, bags) for less than buying a new bike without the racks etc. Would leave me with a fame set to part back together, or sell for cheap.

3- Same as #2, but look for a cheap donor bike with comparable or better components. Would allow me to keep and use the MTB and put knobbies back on it and start riding trails again. More expensive than #2, but still may be cheaper than a new set-up. Probably the least viable option, but it did come to mind.

4- Use the MTB for short to medium range trips in the mid-term, put off the longer trip for a bit, and get a new bike down the road.

#2-3 would mean a 26" disc tourer, so either a 26" Disc Trucker or a Troll, unless someone could point me in the direction of other options. The Surly Troll (I really like the clever name) would leave me with another mountain-styled bike, but it apparently has started developing a decent record as a touring bike, as well as a trail and bikepacking rig. Wouldn't be adding much, but it would give me the option for fenders and front and rear racks, plus being a steel frame bike. I do want a steel tourer.

Actually, I just kinda want a new bike (onset of N+1itis I think), but the budget is tight, and I'm willing to put it off fairly indefinitely. I'm actually trying to downsize my belongings, I'm willing to make an exception.

I think options #1 & 4 are the most realistic, but would appreciate thoughts on all of them.

I've been checking the LBSs and CL for an older bike that I could re-invent as a touring rig, but haven't seen anything. Lots of Walgooses, road racing frames, full sus MTBs, and bikes that are way to small for me.

I think these are far more realistic, and better focused, than my last (admittedly pretty silly in retrospect) which bike thread.

Thanks.