View Single Post
Old 12-07-12, 10:02 AM
k_randomfactor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all are not helping me justify a new bike.

The chainstays are plenty long at 17" so they should be fine, it has a 43.25" wheelbase, and the bike fits well and is comfortable as heck for me. Many moons ago when my work schedule allowed, I'd ride 20-30mi/day, 4-5 days a week, plus commuting duty, so I do have a few miles on the bike. No worries then.

RE: rack and panniers and trailers...

I have a goal on my long tour to travelogue the heck out of it, stopping and riding around cool and interesting places, so the ability to drop a trailer and use a rack/bags and a backpack, if I use this bike, for shorter included trips makes sense to me. May be thinking about it sideways, but that is my thoughts. I'm looking at a 2wheeled trailer so I can have somewhere to carry the dog on local trips. He alone is over the weight limit of a BOB trailer, so something more robust is definitely on the menu. I'd prefer a BOB, but...

There are threaded eyelets on the rear drop-outs, and unused canti bosses on the seat stays, so a rear rack shouldn't be a problem.

Since my hopes and plans include local rides, I'll probably stay with a sus fork, but see if I can upgrade to a little nicer model. This is pretty far down on the 'to do' list though.

Chefisaac, if you come through East TN, and I'm not gone myself , love to meet up for a ride. Can probably find a hot shower and a patch of rug for you as well.

So, as of now, looks like my MTB is gonna get pressed into touring duty unless I can find a smoking deal on a "touring" bike. I think I actually prefer this option, but wanted to make sure my head was in the right place.

Thanks folks.

Last edited by k_randomfactor; 12-07-12 at 10:06 AM. Reason: grammer