View Single Post
Old 12-08-12, 04:30 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfisherbob
The chain is new. Pic attached. The shifting did not fully improve after the hangar was straightened, and the mechanic showed me what looked like a lot of play. The unit is a six speed, so it looks like lucking onto the part is the best I can hope for. Am I right that the stops for the indexing are around a plastic sleeve inside the shift lever body?
+1 No luck required, they are for sale on ebay, pretty much continuously. I have bought many sets on ebay. I am patient, so I wait for a deal (spread of prices is pretty wide on ebay).

+1 When you own a 25 year old bike, with technology that went out about 20 years ago, the used market is your friend: donor bikes, co-op, ebay, and the marketplace on this forum are all your best sources. Bike shops do not use these sources, so not surprised they didn't have a reasonably priced alternative.

Note, I also occasionally pick some up used at bike shops. Some shops have buckets of misc parts, I have picked up three sets of bar end shifters in the last couple months this way. One set was actually NOS, still in original bag.

+1 Lots of causes that would not be the shift levers. Those levers are very durable.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-08-12 at 08:14 PM.