Thread: She's gone!
View Single Post
Old 12-11-12, 09:39 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Yes, it certainly is complex. But, I believe folks have the right to and should make their own choices. I also believe there are consequences to those choices with which they must live. I don't judge them for their choices, neither do I accept their excuses. "I just can't stop (whatever). "I just can't start doing (whatever)." Yes you can, and the world is replete with stories of folks who have stopped and started (whatever). That doesn't mean that they don't need help stopping and starting (whatever), and offering, seeking and finding help may be critical.

However, there are sometimes - perhaps often - terrible and difficult situations in which folks find themselves through absolutely no fault of their own and that, to me, is a very different story. Yet, some folks manage to find themselves through and out of these situations. And, of course, there are grey areas and shadings of situations.
Dnvr, This is isn't directed at you because I know that you have "been there" -- or at least have been exposed to enough "there" to know what you are talking about.

But, while I agree that we have to give our best efforts to lift ourselves above the situation we find ourselves in, at the same time we should refrain from judging those who can't or won't until we have walked in their shoes. Oftentimes the world looks a lot different from the other side.