View Single Post
Old 12-11-12, 04:18 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try hard to stay out of these threads, but some of the stuff I see makes me scratch my head.

I see I carry 50 lbs of gear or xyz and I just cant help responding.

Of course anyone can carry anything they want, they can take table, chairs, etc. Its all a personal thing, and your desired level of comfort, vs your desired speed, level of work to carry said weight.

As a reference I have gone out for 7 days straight carrying all my gear, all my food, and all my water and never weighed over 30 lbs. I could probably do two straight weeks for less than 40. I could cut it even more, if I wanted to put more repetition in my diet and only carry highly caloric dense foods.

from experience I can tell you there is a direct correlation between the amount of gear you carry, your speed, and your "tiredness" at the end of the day (and of course the distance you travel, or the days required to go said distance).

Chef will tell you I am a weight weening when it comes to gear, and again each to their own, but dont ignore the obvious consequences associated with heavy gear. I dont mean to imply the consequences are negative, just that they exist, you will go slower, and you will be more tired.