View Single Post
Old 12-13-12, 07:30 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickfrogger
I'm finally tired of buying small sacks of potatoes and making multiple weekly shopping trips, so I'm looking to add a little storage and consolidate my shopping.

With that said, I'm thinking about adding either panniers or folding baskets (In the end it looks like they both cost about the same). It seems the baskets would be better for shopping and such, but my "utility" bike is also my year round commuter so I'm attracted to the panniers as well

So, what's everyone's favorite? What are positives and negatives of each?

Thanks for the responses!

Edit: I suppose I should add this is college budget--<$50--so reliability of the lowest end of each is something I'm interested in too (ie is it more likely for cheap panniers to rip or cheap baskets to bend, etc.)
A that price point I would go with the Wald folding rear baskets then add a front basket when you get the chance. My main grocery getter has 41 litre panniers on it, but they are water proof cotton canvas and weren't cheap. I have a second bike that I use for beer runs, it has the wald folding baskets on the rear and a medium wald basket on the front. It is good for 2 cases of bottled beer plus some stuff on top. The wald folding baskets will hold a brown paper grocery sack (that is what they are sized for) I have some bags made to that foot print that are made from recycled plastics. Work for me.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon