Old 12-13-12, 06:34 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sport10y
I've recently purchased a new TREK 520 (48/36/26 and 11/32) and prior to this purchase studied that many recommend the 26T chain ring be swapped for a 24T chain ring for climbing. My thought was that I would wait and see if I really needed the 24T or not and maybe those folks suggesting this are just outta shape. When I discussed this with my LBS, they were concerned about how well it would shift from a 24T ring to the middle ring, which is currently 36T and weren't too enthused about the idea. I will be taking a 600 mile trip this Spring that will be all mountainous through Appalachia. So, following my testing unloaded and seated, sure enough I must be outta shape, because it seems to me I will need just a smidgen lower gear than what the current 26T chain ring offers me loaded (unless I’m going to stand and push it all day. (at least this is my current hypothesis)). Based on what I’ve read this must be where this 24T ring comes in, correct? Can anyone give me a recommendation on what I need to do/buy/install or the most seamless way to get to where I need to be on this? Do I just change out that one chain ring or is this going to get more complicated and costly than that. Again, I’m trying to minimize my learning curve based upon your experience. Thanks again for all your help on this and other topics. Sport
The lowest gear you have is Ahemm, walking the bike uphill. No shame in doing that if you're out of shape. You'll get in shape in no time as soon as you ride longer.

The difference between a 26T and 24T is not much though. Eventually, the gear you are in would be so low that it looks silly spinning so fast before you topple over because the bike is so tippy heavy. Unless you are planning to climb lots of 13% to 20% hills, a 26T with a 32T is fine for the majority of 8% climbs you'll meet on the road.

Hope this helps.