View Single Post
Old 12-14-12, 12:34 PM
OldZephyr

Bikes: 1985 Trek 720, 2010 CAAD9-6, mid-90s Trek 750 hybrid (winter bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sorry, but I don't agree. First, traveling at slow speeds doesn't automatically mean that the rider will fall over. I've spent hours pedaling at 3 mph on-road and off-road. I even do it without weaving all over the road. It's not that hard to do. Second, pedaling at 3 mph beats walking and pushing a bike. I've done that too.

Third, what gear you want, or need, depends on the individual. I'd much rather spin up a hill at 3 to 4 mph in a 20/34 gear (my touring bike's gearing) than struggle up the same hill in a 26/34 gear. I can do both...I'm fit and strong enough...but the 20/34 is a whole lot easier.
I agree as well; your observations are borne out by my experience.

If the OP wants to keep the current crankset, he could also go with a 12-36 cassette, which according to Harris Cyclery can work with a standard mountain derailleur: "Shimano recommends that this cassette is only compatible with Shimano Shadow type rear derailleurs. We've run it successfully with a basic Deore (non-shadow design) with a longer (20mm) B-tension screw all the way in. You might have to reverse it for more adjustment."

A change from a 32 tooth to a 36 tooth cog would make a noticeable difference.

One other possibility is to swap out the 26/36/46 crankset with a mountain triple 22-32-44 crankset and stick with the 11-32 cassette.