View Single Post
Old 12-16-12, 09:01 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by camaghead
I agree they have a lot of differences - however the similarity in colour and name cannot be overlooked. The "shot in" rear seat stays would also be unusual....
I really don't think you can compare the two, especially considering their vast difference in age. Color similarity means nothing. If you look at the seat stays closely you'll see that they are not the same. The Bianchi's are simply capped and brazed on the lug in conventional mthod. As for the names, Campione del Mondo 1973-1974 is not even the model. It's a commenmorative sticker that was applied to all Bianchi when the team of the 1973 World Champion, Felice Gimondi, switched to Bianchi for 1974. This sticker was used for several years.

The seat post size is indicative a of a lighweight hi-tensile steel. The detail pictures reveal further, nice, non-entry level features such as cast bridges and an integral fork crown. However, the workmanship is very basic, with little evidence of finishing on the joints, and is decidely entry level.

The new evidence supports my previuous assessment of a mid-1980s, club racer. Level is around the cusp between entry level and mid-range. It could have fallen either way, depending on the OEM components. Did you ever determine the bottom bracket threading? Given the era. location and level, it's probably of European origin.