Thread: Which IGH bike?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 11:29 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shepherdsflock
My personal thoughts are I would tend toward the Kilowatt. I prefer the added gears. I have found that added complexity of gears is rarely as much of an inconvenience as not having enough when you could really use them. Plus, the difference between three and 5 isn't all that great. It's not like you're comparing the three speed IGH to an 11 speed or 14 speed IGH. I think the real question for you, though, is what riding position do you prefer? The Oxford appears to be a more upright riding position, while the Kilowatt is a more forward leaning riding position. I'm sure you could always put some straight or upswept bars on the Kilowatt and attain an upright position, though.
I definitely want a forward riding position, but seems if I just flip the Oxford's bars upside down (and lower them) I'll have an instant bullhorn setup. Is there any reason the Kilo's drop bars would be superior to that? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I ride an 8 speed IGH and a singlespeed and I don't think I need so many gears.

Last edited by chucky; 12-17-12 at 11:34 AM.