View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 11:33 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
So the fit questions aside (which I know you guys are convinced are an unsolvable mystery whose solution requires employing the gods of the LBS...but I'm convinced I got it under control), what do you guys think of the other factors?:

A) Is it worth getting the Kilo just to get some experience with drop bars?...because I'm skeptical that drop bars really have anything to offer over a good set of bullhorns+aero bars in the middle, but if I'll never know for sure if I don't try the standard "go fast" bar for at least a few thousand miles.

B) I know the Kilo/Surly frames are hyped up to be so much better quality, but will the butting, etc really make any difference whatsoever?

C) Which geometry is better, the twitchy/responsive Kilo or the smoother/slower handling Oxford?
A) Not worth it for the drop bar, but might be worth it for the additional gearing. 5sp vs. Oxford 3sp. Flipping the bar on the oxford would be fun -- I've got a similar setup on a mtn bike conversion commuter and love it. Drop bars are good because they offer a multitude of hand positions, useful on longer rides.

B) Tubing doesn't make a huge difference, but it does make some difference. Kilo will feel "livlier." Oxford will feel like the folders and recumbents you are used to.

C) Because you're used to folders, the twitchyness of the Kilo might not be as bad as others coming from road bikes might think. I think the Oxford might feel very truck-like and slow handling to you...

Kind of a toss-up: if I was considering permanently mounted fenders and commuting less than 10 mi without too many hills, I'd probably lean toward the Oxford; Shorter commute with more altitude change, the Kilo.