View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 06:43 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Provided the frame and fork aren't damaged I'd say yes it's worth it. As you pointed out nice parts can always be transferred to another frame later. I would get a second opinion on the condition of the frame and fork before proceeding though. Wheels often hold up better in collisions than frames do, depending on the type of impact.

Where upgrading a bike gets expensive is if you're not doing your own wrenching. Also, some shops are cool with customer bringing in their own parts, and some less so. Your best approach is to get as much stuff hanging on the frame as possible before bringing it in to a shop.

How much to upgrade is another question. For a commuter strong and reliable matter. Component weight and finish, not so much.

I personally like downtube shifters for commuting, but that's what I grew up with so I'm used to them. They're simple, reliable, light, cheap, and tend to survive crashes pretty well. Also, ease of recabling and having a friction mode available are nice.