Old 08-24-05, 05:02 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oboeguy
Hehe I only learned the nickname recently. Do you know the route known as "The Seven Sisters"? Well, the "Alpine d'Huez" would be the 7th sister. The road is the stretch of the Pallisades Park north of the George Washington Bridge. Supposedly there are seven "hills" thus the seven "sisters". I've never really counted, as as most of them aren't really "hills" in terms of length. The "Alpine" is so named because the town at the end of this stretch of park road (where this climb is) is named Alpine.

Edit: Unsatisfied with my lousy explanation, I give you this. That's the top of the climb. The little bit that makes it longer by starting by the water doesn't show on the map, but you can clearly see the boat docks. You can get a better view of that little stretch by switching to the sattelite / hybrid views and zooming a bit.
that explanation was good, i thought. alpine d'huez is a nice length for hill repeats. it's a fun decent too, although watch out for park employees driving 60 mph in their god damned park trucks.