View Single Post
Old 12-22-12, 11:42 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ejapplegate
Looking for the best course of action with regards to an old (1986) Japanese boom bike with a decent frame (that fits me) that has lots of little chips and dings. Some representative pictures:

I don't really ride in the rain as a habit. And the bike is stored indoors.

I like the general "old" look of the bike. And I can't really afford to spend much (which was why I bought a 25 year old bike off of craigslist in the first place).

I see my otions as:

1.) Do nothing
2.) Clean out the spots that show bear metal, and cover with something clear (clear nail polish???)
3.) Clean up and touch up with something that matches the color (nail polish, model paint, auto touch up paint)

Advice and guidance greatly appreciated.
Any of the above! It's not bad 'as is', so you could leave it - or seal over the bare metal with clear nail varnish. If you can find paint or nail varnish that's a close match then I'd just fill the chips with a tiny modeller's paint brush. Doesn't need to be perfect if you can't see the marks from 6 feet away it's fine in my opinion. YMMV!