View Single Post
Old 12-23-12, 04:32 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Actually while I was on the trip this summer, during legs 2 and 3 I was doing a good job keeping a journal/email. Had a couple of fellows back this way that wanted to be kept updated so I was keeping them updated. The first leg was hard as I didn't have much of anywhere, thanks to pushing big miles each day, to get in so I could recharge the laptop battery or get internet access. By the 2nd and 3rd leg everything was much easier and I was settled back into the journalling concept I did when I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail back in 1997. I've been planning on keep a year long blog for the entire year this upcoming year.

I have been working on a camera mount for the bike that will let me take video, that can be stilled, from many different camera angles while riding. I won't need someone riding beside/behind/in front of me to take the shots I'm going to be taking. I will do it myself right from the bike. I've made a rather creative rack, mostly for keeping the pack off the back during the winter months, but since I've included the camera mount idea into the homemade rack I know the rack will stay on the bike all year long. Once I get the weatherproof camera case built it's going to be fun testing out the idea and see just how many different camera angles I can come up with for taking shots. Heck already thinking of full fledge panning shots while riding, right from the bike. I would only need one hand free to operate the mount.

Thanks to this message I have come to realize what I'm looking at doing and realize I will need to make a couple changes in equipment for safety sake. I definitely want more water carrying capacity then what I normally ride with. I have been thinking for a few months now about switching over to dyno hub and looking more at the route makes me think even more so about doing it. I can charge everything up through the dynohub just like I could with a solar panel. The only difference is I can do it for sure even when it's raining/very cloudy. Even if I find myself riding at night I could still be charging batteries.

I think the only reason I sound/am a bit paranoid is the fact of not knowing the area to know what is available and equally knowing I don't want to go out and be crazy enough to go out and ride 150 miles a day on the trip next summer. When you put the two together I realize I run into the problem of having a lot of free time that I know I'll have to fill. It may not be a problem at all, then again you never know. I was never in the Boy Scouts but there is one thing I learnt a long time ago, and I still believe it holds true to this very day...Be Prepared. The better prepared you are for anything that can happen the better your chances of getting through it unscathed(sp?) The more ideas you have the more possible solutions to the problem you also have. Some the of the stupidest, easiest things are bound to be the things you will overlook.

I know the area is a small area of 7-800 miles and other than in that particular area I highly doubt I should have any trouble at all. There won't be enough daylight hours available. In that area though I just want to go prepared, even if I'm wrong and I don't need it.