Old 12-24-12, 02:48 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
My road bike came with a saddle with a cutout. I did my own research and concluded that a saddle with a cutout is wider and therefore can lead to chaffing on the upper leg area. I changed to a non-cutout and it is more than 1/2" narrower where it counts. Lack of the cutout does not affect my comfort in that area. Picture attached shows where I measured.
Have to agree in principle until you get onto some of the more reputable makes. Pre prostate surgery I used a Flight Ti saddle and it was comfortable. It was n't after surgery and eventually I got onto the flight Gel Max saddle with a cutout. That cured the problem and the saddle on the nose is the same width as my original Flight. Then went to the LBS and got a San Marco "aero" that was the same shape and it worked and it had a cutout.

BUT I have had saddles that did have the Cutout and caused chaffing because the saddle was wider on the nose. My Pinnie came with a cutout saddle and I know you have to run in a saddle but after about 1,000 miles it is still not right. Seeing this post and I have just gone and checked the Pinnie saddle and it is wider than my other two. Looks like I will buying yet another saddle and it will be one of the expensive Flights that are the same width as my Gel Max or the Aero.

Spike Milligan