Old 12-28-12, 07:20 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
I've test rode a Domane before and quite honestly the 4 in a 54 is a different ride compared to the 5 in 56. I felt the twitch on the lower series and stability on the higher one. Could never figure out the reason for the difference in ride quality, but one Trek employee thinks that the 56 was a better fit for me. If I really want a much better clearance on the inseam, then I'm better off with the 54, but I have to get a longer stem. At least that's "his" theory. I can clear a 56, but it's just RIGHT THERE! Another difference in ride quality is the compliance. That seat mast makes A LOT OF DIFFERENCE!

I've never test rode an SL4, but the SL3 was one smooth ride. Though it was just too tall of a head tube for me. It felt like I was riding my mtb. In comparison with the Domane? Damn close, but the Domane 5 Series takes it. Then again, I bet the COBL GOBL-R will make a heck of a lot of difference.

I'm in the process of making a decision myself. Go with my ideal bike or with the cheaper, newer technology. If the 54 in the 4 Series Domane with the longer stem will solve the twitch, then the only change I will make is the seat post... purchase the COBL GOBL-R to compensate for the seat mast from the 5 Series. Or just go with the 2012 Madone 5.2 at a discounted price and deal with the lesser compliance to gain a full Ultegra, internal routing and slightly lighter ride. Then I'll just try to gain more smoothness with 25c tires.
People write that about the Roubaix but its BS for most recreational riders and even top racers. The Roubaix can be set up aggressive if you size down. The vast majority of those that don't race professionally don't need a slammed position. If you need more aggressive than that, there is the Tarmac which gets you the twitchy handling of the Domane. I have Cat 1 and 2 friends that race a Roubaix.
One runs big drop and one doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cat1 Roubaix Andy.jpg (104.1 KB, 106 views)